Here you can find very easy steps How to make Chicken saagwali Recipe at home with ingredients ,Nutrition value and benefits of eating Chicken saagwali Recipe
What is Chicken saagwali
Chicken saagwali recipe is a dish that originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is a flavorful and aromatic curry made with tender pieces of chicken cooked in a rich, creamy sauce made with pureed spinach and a blend of aromatic spices. The name “saagwali” refers to the use of saag, or leafy greens, in the dish. The sauce is often made with a combination of spinach and mustard greens, which are cooked and pureed to create a smooth and creamy base for the curry. The chicken is typically marinated in yogurt and a blend of aromatic spices before being added to the sauce and cooked until tender. The dish is typically served with rice or flatbreads, such as naan or roti.
Here is a recipe for chicken saagwali that you can try at home:
Ingredients for making Chicken saagwali recipe:
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup packed mustard greens
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Instructions for making Chicken saagwali recipe:
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Place the chicken in a large bowl and add the yogurt mixture, tossing to coat the chicken evenly. Marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pan and cook until it is lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the chicken until it is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the spinach and mustard greens to the pan and cook until they are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until it is smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and cook until the sauce is heated through.
- Garnish the chicken saagwali with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or flatbread. Enjoy!
Nutrition Value of Chicken saagwali recipe
The nutritional value of chicken saagwali recipe will depend on the specific ingredients and amounts used in the recipe. However, here is a rough estimate of the nutritional content of this dish based on the recipe I provided above:
Per serving (based on 4 servings):
- Calories: 280
- Total fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Sodium: 440mg
- Total carbohydrate: 13g
- Dietary fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 5g
- Protein: 28g
This dish is a good source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, such as iron and vitamin A. However, it is also high in saturated fat and sodium, so it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. If you are concerned about the nutritional content of this dish, you may want to consider using lower-fat dairy products and adjusting the amount of oil or ghee used in the recipe. You can also use chicken broth or water instead of chicken broth to reduce the sodium content of the dish.
Benefit of eating chicken saagwali recipe
Chicken saagwali recipe can be a nutritious and flavorful addition to a balanced diet. Here are some potential benefits of this dish:
- Protein: Chicken is a good source of protein, which is an essential nutrient that helps build and repair tissues, and supports the growth and maintenance of muscle mass.
- Spinach and mustard greens: These leafy greens are packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and calcium. They are also rich in antioxidants, which may help protect against oxidative stress and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Aromatic spices: The spices used in this dish, such as garam masala, cumin, coriander, and turmeric, have been used in traditional medicine for centuries and may have a variety of health benefits. For example, turmeric has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.
- Low in calories: This dish is relatively low in calories, making it a good option for those trying to manage their weight.
It’s important to note that the benefits of chicken saagwali will depend on the overall quality of your diet and lifestyle. As with any food, it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.