Here you can find very easy steps How to make Aloo Posto Recipe at home with ingredients ,Nutrition value and benefits of eating Aloo Posto Recipe
What is Aloo Posto
Aloo posto is a traditional Bengali dish made with potatoes and poppy seeds (called posto in Bengali). The potatoes are typically boiled and then mashed, and the poppy seeds are ground into a paste and mixed with the mashed potatoes to create a flavorful and satisfying dish. Aloo posto is often served with rice or roti and is a popular choice in Bengali cuisine. It is a delicious and flavorful vegetarian option that can be enjoyed as a main course or as part of a larger spread of dishes.
Recipe of Aloo Posto
Here is a recipe for aloo posto that serves 4-6 people:
Ingredients of Aloo Posto recipe:
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup poppy seeds, ground into a paste
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Instructions how to prepare Aloo Posto recipe:
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until fragrant.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the pan and stir to combine with the spice mixture. Add the water and poppy seed paste to the pan and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer the aloo posto for 10-15 minutes, or until the flavors have melded and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season with salt to taste and garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve the aloo posto hot, with rice or roti on the side. Enjoy!
Nutritional value of Aloo Posto recipe
Here is an approximate nutritional breakdown for a serving of aloo posto (based on a recipe that serves 4-6 people and uses 3 medium potatoes, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and 1/2 cup of poppy seeds):
- Calories: 358
- Protein: 9 grams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Sodium: 95 milligrams
- Potassium: 876 milligrams
Please note that the exact nutritional content of aloo posto will depend on the specific ingredients and proportions used in the recipe. This is just an approximate guide and should not be considered a definitive source of nutrition information.
Benefits of Eating Aloo Posto recipe
Aloo posto is a traditional Bengali dish made with potatoes and poppy seeds. Some potential benefits of eating aloo posto include:
- Good source of carbohydrates: Potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, which are an important source of energy for the body.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Potatoes are a good source of vitamins C and B6, and also contain potassium, which is important for maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- High in fiber: Potatoes are a good source of fiber, which can help to support digestive health and prevent constipation.
- Delicious and satisfying: Aloo posto is a flavorful and satisfying dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as part of a larger spread of Indian dishes. It is a delicious way to incorporate more potatoes into your diet.
- Versatile ingredient: Aloo posto can be served with a variety of side dishes, including rice and roti, making it a versatile choice for meal planning.